Cancun travel guide
Located in Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula (in the heart of the Mayan Empire), surrounded by ancient ruins and swimmable cenotes (jungle pools), marvelous white-sand beaches, islands and the incredible turquoise of the Caribbean sea, Cancun, México is one of the three most visited Mexico travel destinations. His all-year-round sunshine, eclectic cuisine and the amenities that the island offers to visitors makes Cancun one of the best places on earth to appreciate the beauty of the natural ecosystem as well as the history that precedes these places.
Also, Cancun is an excellent starting point if you want to travel across the Riviera Maya, Due to its closeness with other interesting destinations like Chichén Itza, Puerto Morelos, Akumal, Isla Mujeres, Isla Contoy and other destinations, Cancun is a perfect place to discover the wonderful surroundings.
If you want to discover the marvels of this zone in the Mexican southeast, in the next Cancun travel guide you will find all that you need to know about this destination, weather, things to do and the best tips for travel, in the next lines.
THINGS TO DO IN CANCUN
Cancun is a paradise for nature lovers and people that enjoy nightlife, also, since it is located in Riviera Maya, history and cultural tourism is an important part in the activities that you can enjoy in Cancun. On the side of ecotourism activities, a visit to the beaches of Cancun is an activity that you can’t miss if you travel these lands, its beautiful and calm waters are perfect to practice water activities like snorkeling, diving, jet ski, surf, parasailing and fishing.
But, if you like adventure and activities in nature, exploring the local cenotes is an activity that you can’t miss on this trip. Cenotes are natural pits and sinkholes in the jungle completely filled with water. In most of them you can even swim and dive, basically making them the most unusual swimming pools around, these water bodies had a special meaning for the ancient Maya culture who used to believe cenotes were connections to the underworld, and they used to make human sacrifices there, so… If you want to see some natural marvel that you will hardly see in another part of the world, cenotes should be on your list of things to do in Cancun.
On the other hand, Cancun is near to some ancient places of Maya culture, archaeological sites like: Chichén Itza, Coba, Tulum, El Rey, etc. They are an important stop in your trip if you want to know in depth the surroundings of Cancun and its historical importance. Also, Isla Mujeres, Isla Contoy and Holbox are some of the most popular tourist destinations surrounding Cancun.
Last, nightlife in Cancun is an important part of the experience in the city, being a destination made for tourist, this place offers a large list of amenities and spots to have fun, if you look for a party during your trip, some of the best places to have a crazy night in Cancun are: Coco Bongo Nightclub, The City Nightclub, Mandala Beach Club, Señor Frog’s, La Habichuela Sunset Restaurant, McCarthy’s Irish Pub, among many other perfect places to have a night out.
LODGING AND FOOD
Maybe these are the two more important issues to think about for any travel, luckily, Cancun has a strong demand in the lodging industry, so you will find all kinds of hotels for all kinds of budgets depending on what you are looking for.In case of the food, Cancun offers a mix of flavors that will charm you with his authentic personality and a powerful spirit that is distinguished in each recipe.
In both cases, you should know that Cancun is divided in two zones with which you can guide your search during your stay. If you are looking for luxury and wonderful views to sea, the hotel zone is the best option to search a hotel full of amenities and comfort, by the side of meals, the hotel zone offers a list of fancy restaurants (Most belonging to the resorts in the area) that will surprise you with his combination of flavors and fresh ingredients in dishes that range from meats and seafood, to international dishes and latin america food, all of this, of course, accompanied by an incredible view to the sea.
But, if you are traveling on a budget, or maybe you want to taste the authentic experience of Cancun city. Downtown Cancun or “El centro” is an excellent option for those travelers who want a more holistic experience of this destination, in this area you will find all kind of hotels and restaurants, from the corner taco stand to the restaurants most loved by locals, even if you don’t stay in this area, we recommend you visit it, since in this zone you could explore the city just as the way locals know it.
TIPS & RECOMMENDATIONS
Finally, here we have some advices that could be helpful on your next trip to Cancun:
- If you are wondering about the best season to travel to Cancun, the best time to visit this destination is from December to April during the peak season. While the less convenient season is from mid-March to early-April, that’s when spring breakers descend on the Yucatán’s shores.
- The best way to get around Cancun is the bus, which stops frequently along Boulevard Kukulcán and within the downtown area. Its price is around $12 MXN (60 cents).
- By the side of weather, Cancun temperatures range between 20 °C and 33 °C throughout the year. So it’s quite nice, however it’s always a good idea to bring a change of fresh clothes and maybe a light jacket in case it gets chilly at night.
- About the local currency, in Cancun, as well as throughout the Mexican Republic, the local currency is the Mexican peso. However, in some specific places it is possible to pay with US dollars, of course, we recommend that you check beforehand if the currency is accepted in the place you are going to visit.
- You’re wondering about what you should pack for Cancun? We recommend you to include the following stuff on your wallet: Sunscreen, layers, a water bottle, insect repellent, sunglasses, comfortable shoes and cash, just in case.